| [h] Home | [c] Contacts |


Social Events

Welcome Cocktail

Welcome Cocktail at "Castel dell'Ovo", will take place on Tuesday July 3th, on the wonderful Ramaglietto Terrace at 7,30 p.m.

[Castel dell'Ovo]

Castel dell'Ovo is 5 minutes walking from the seaside Hotels. It was built on the small island of Megaride, which it is said the place where the mermaid Partenope got entangled; "Castel dell'Ovo" rises up in the centre of the gulf, between the marina of Mergellina and the "Borgo Marinaro", a short distance from the "Villa Comunale". It was the place where the Cumani founded the first part of the city during the 6th century B.C. Note especially the bastions constructed in yellow tuff, the monks' refectory and the splendid view of the gulf from the terraces on the upper levels, taking in the promontory of Posillipo and the island of Capri which rises up in front of it. According to a medieval legend, the roman poet Virgil, who in ancient times was considered a powerful wizard, hid an egg inside a jug hanging in one of the rooms of the castle. Tradition has it that when the egg falls and breaks, the castle and the entire city will fall to ruin.

Gala Dinner

The Gala Dinner at “Rocca Matilde (Villa Peirce)”, will take place on Wednesday July 4th evening. Bus transportation will be provided from and to the official hotels of the conference. Time table will be available on site.

[Villa Peirce]

Villa Peirce is nestled in the beautiful park of Rocca Matilde. Luisa Dillon Strachan, Marchesa of Salza purchased the park in 1842 and named it after her eldest daughter. The large enchanting park spreads from Posillipo's hill to the sea providing the perfect setting for a variety of citrus trees, caves, temples, fountains, paths, bridges and terraces and was documented by many famous authors. An extremely beautiful natural setting was further inspired by true romantic English taste. Enchanted by the Posillipo's natural beauty and troubled by her marriage, the Marchesa left England to reside in Naples in 1842.

Her villa was constructed on the foundation of Palace Oratio d'Acunto, originally built in the 1600s. Marchesa Salza's transformation of the palace led to a five year restoration project headed by George Wightwick Rendel, an engineer who both designed and constructed the current façade. During that time, the villa was called Maravel and the long list of distinguished visitors included Garibaldi.

[Villa Peirce]

In 1883, Mr. Rendell bought the villa and commissioned the architect Alfonso Guerra, who carried out an extensive restoration project (1886-1893). Mr. Rendel designed the picturesque harbour, the stables and the charming elaborate Lombard chapel set in the mountain within the shade of large trees. He also installed an elevator and created a passageway to connect the villa to the park.  The three story building, as it appears today is laid out at sea level on a small man made harbour.  The vaults, terraces, pillars, towers, marbles recall Moresque inspiration.  In 1909, the Peirce family bought the property and more recently the villa was owned by Achillle Lauro.  Currently, there is an ongoing restoration project and the owners have pledged to return the villa's original name:  Rocca Matilde.

The road leading downhill reaches the villa through an overpass, several terraces, tunnels and bridges excavated in the mountain.  Rocca Matilde is a perfect complement to the architectural construction which decorates the coastline’s beautiful scenery.

Conference Tour and Dinner

The Conference Tour will take place on Wednesday July 5th evening aimed to visit Benevento city where it is seated the University of Sannio. The Bus service will be provided from and to the official hotels of the conference. Details Time table will be available on site.

Benevento is a town of Campania, in south of Italy, 50 km northeast of Naples. It is situated on a hill 130 m (300 ft) above sea-level at the confluence of the Calore lucano and Sabato Rivers. Benevento occupies the site of the ancient Beneventum, originally Maleventum or still earlier Malowent. The "-vent" portion of the name probably refers to a market-place and is a common element in ancient place names. The Romans theorized that it meant "the site of bad events", from Mal(um) + eventum. In the imperial period it was supposed to have been founded by Diomedes after the Trojan War.

[Triumphal Arch]

The importance of Benevento in classical times is vouched for by the many remains of antiquity which it possesses, of which the most famous is the triumphal arch erected in honour of Trajan by the senate and people of Rome in 114, with important reliefs relating to its history. Enclosed in the walls, this construction marked the entrance in Benevento of the Via Traiana, the road built by the Spanish emperor to shorten the path from Rome to Brindisi. The reliefs show the civil and military deeds of Trajan.

[Santa Sofia]

The church of Santa Sofia is a circular Lombard edifice of about 760, now modernized, of small proportions: it can be enclosed within a circle of 23.5 m of diameter. It is one of the most important examples of European architecture of the High Middle Ages. The plant was very original for the times: it consists of a central hexagon with, at each vertex, columns taken from the temple of Isis; these are connected by arches which support the cupola. The inner hexagon is in turn enclosed in a decagonal ring with eight white limestone pilasters and two columns next to the entrance. The church has a fine cloister of the 12th century, constructed in part of fragments of earlier buildings. The church interior was once totally frescoed by Byzantine artists: fragments of these paintings, portraying the Histories of Christ, can be still seen in the two side apses. Santa Sofia was almost destroyed by the earthquake of 1688, and rebuilt in Baroque forms by commission of the then cardinal Orsini of Benevento (later Pope Benedict XIII). The original forms were hidden, and were recovered only after the discussed restoration of 1951.

[Rocca dei Rettori]

The castle of Benevento, best known as Rocca dei Rettori or Rocca di Manfredi, stands at the highest point of the town, commanding the valley of the rivers Sabato and Calore, and the two main ancient roads Via Appia and Via Traiana. The site had been already used by the Samnites, who had constructed here a set of defensive terraces, and the Romans, with a thermal plant (Castellum aquae), whose remains can be still seen in the castle garden. The Benedictines had here a monastery. It received the current name in the Middle Ages, when it became the seat of the Papal governors, the Rettori.

The dinner will take place in the castle of Benevento or “Rocca dei Rettori”.